Applying for the Studentship!

I applied for the Studentship through the Biochemical Society back in February of this year. The scope of the work is to determine whether there is a correlation between expression of the Hedgehog signalling components and expression of other proteins frequently associated with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and furthermore, whether there is crosstalk between the hedgehog signalling pathway and these other proteins. This is a continuation of Dr Amy Cherry’s previous work and knowledge on Sufu and hedgehog signalling.

The odds of getting a Studentship was extremely unlikely so imagine my surprise but when I received the news in late March that I had been awarded the opportunity…8 weeks of paid glorious lab time… 
On average I have about 4 hours of lab time per week, so not only am I getting additional lab experience, I am putting myself in a position to be better prepared for my dissertation / independent study as well as help prepare me for my PhD ……. excuse me as I just set off a few party poppers (not in the lab!)….. and I will get a taster of what to expect of a career in science.


The only dilemma I have about this studentship is having to write a blog, I am a scientist and it’s not something I am use to, I normally write factual reports (which I still get to do at the end – yay!) but I will sure give it a go.


2 comments:

  1. Well done Kayleigh. I logged on via my Google account. Maybe this one will publish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My original comment: Well done an awesome challenge with plenty of hard work ahead, but with your dedication should be a 'Walk-in-the-park'. Grumps

    ReplyDelete