26th May 2016 – Day 4

Got my first set of results today! Yay! Today I sorted out the cultures I had set up overnight, and I made glycerol stocks from each LB culture, these get frozen and are used at a later date, while the rest of the overnight cultures got placed in the fridge. I used the bacteria in the fridge and made up 4 larger cultures with antibiotics, these were left to culture until the OD was reached at which point they were induced with IPTG and incubated overnight. (I am good at this now, done it a few times).
….Then I checked the results from yesterday’s SDS-PAGE gel (da da dah….) and it came out well so I’m very pleased. (Go me!!) I photographed the gel using two different machines, these pick up the stain clearly on the protein (I much prefer the machine downstairs, it’s so shinny and new, and much quicker compared-I am sure it’s okay to say I have a favourite).

And for the fun part……!! Giant culture flasks!! These things are massive, I made up 400ml of LB broth in each as well as autoclaved them. I had to use the large autoclave (which takes hours) due to the size of these flasks, I am told we are going to culture the small cultures into these big flasks so we can make lots of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment